Senior Database Engineer
At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users. Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and more to come.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei.
Databases form the backbone of internet services and must scale with our growth while being highly reliable. You will join a growing database team to improve and scale our relational databases while maximizing availability. You will collaborate with infrastructure as well as product development teams to ensure that database best practices are built into every aspect of design and implementation.
Your work will directly improve the user experience of millions of people around the world. You should have extensive experience building and operating distributed, highly-available systems.
- Build database infrastructure that allows the business to grow rapidly. That means looking forward and identifying obstacles and tipping points in the infrastructure and taking action to remove them in a cost-efficient way.
- Understand the data and workloads to identify existing and future performance issues and resolve them quickly or head them off entirely.
- Scale yourself and the team by sharing your knowledge and by automating high touch processes either through code that your write or with quality open-source solutions.
- Own the design, implementation, operation, and support of a large, international fleet of MySQL databases that are crucial to the successful operation of our global platform.
- Troubleshoot complex technical problems and assess and mitigate risks.
- Partner with software development teams to deliver highly available, high concurrency, low latency services.
- Participate in design reviews with software teams and drive feedback on architecture, design, system integration, performance, and scalability issues as it pertains to databases.
- Assist in developing long-term database technology strategies and influence corporate database engineering processes and standards.
- 5+ years delivering highly available, scalable, distributed databases systems using non-proprietary software
- Software development experience with a solid grounding in software engineering and computer science, particularly as it relates to distributed systems.
- Solid knowledge of MySQL and Linux
- Solid background in performance tuning and problem diagnosis at the OS, database, and application levels.
- Thrive on ambiguity, drive to consensus, deliver results.
- Experience with Percona tools, Ansible, Puppet, Icinga, Orchestrator, Vitess, CentOS, Bash, Python, and Golang
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly
- Basic knowledge of networking and server hardware and storage systems relevant for databases
- Teamwork soft skills: candor, humility, helpfulness
Why You Should Join Proton
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. Proton products protect dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.