At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data.ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users.
Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and more to come.Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei.
About the position
We are looking for an experienced and passionate security analyst. You will help us run and improve our SIEM to detect breaches and help us handle incidents. This is a technical position requiring analytical and scripting skills.
Together with our security engineers you will drive the development of our SIEM. Your main responsibility will be leveraging the SIEM through analysing Events and Alerts. You will also be responsible for the creation of new detections and analysis methods, as well as following up on Alerts. Our team heavily leverages Jupyter notebooks.
Ideally you will have some prior experience in data analysis methods for security.
This position can either be in one of our offices, or remote for senior people within five hours time zone distance from Switzerland. We encourage diversity and appreciate top engineering and social skills.
What you will do:
- Maintain and enhance our security monitoring toolkit (SIEM, sensors, etc.)
- Create, improve, and implement security detection techniques within our SIEM
- Help us create meaningful alerts from events
- Handle and respond to security alerts
- Develop incident response plans and playbooks
- Help us identify malicious activities within our network, which our current toolset might not cover
- Identify security risks within our infrastructure and help mitigate them
- Work as part of a team to deploy and maintain secure and reliable network architecture as well as server/system security best practices
- Promote IT security awareness and responsible user behavior across the company
- Participate in business process documentation, metric reporting, and process automation
- Advice and support the company in all security-related matters
- Ability to work independently and in a group environment
- Strong communication skills (must be fluent in English)
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of system/network security and security best practices (network ACLs, authentication mechanisms, OS hardening)
- Strong knowledge of Linux based operating systems and their security related components (overall architecture, system calls, SElinux)
- Understanding of networking and endpoint protection technologies as well as related threat detection technologies (WAF, EDR, IDS/IPS)
- Understanding of the current threat landscape, its actors and methods of identifying tactics, techniques and procedures; ability to advise on control implementation or translate these to SIEM rulesets
- Understanding of common malware techniques; ability to advise on control implementation or translate these to SIEM rulesets
- Advanced Python (or similar) coding skills
- Thinking out of the box
Knowledge in the following areas is considered a plus:
- Experience using the Elastic stack
- Experience using Jupyter and Pandas
- Know how to use modern Data analysis and possibly ML techniques
- Experience in leveraging Threat Intelligence
- Experience in Docker and Kubernetes environments
- Experience in Cloud security
- Experience in other security disciplines
- An industry qualification from a recognized training provider is an asset
Why you should join Proton:
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. Proton products protect dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail is using Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring and better candidate experience. Your data will be kept confidential and not shared with any third parties.
Keep in mind that you will receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org email or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.