Public Policy and Legal Specialist
At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data. ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users.
Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and more to come.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei. We're also considering future potential office locations such as London and Barcelona.
About the position:
We are looking for a Public Policy and Legal Specialist to join our Legal and Public Policy teams. The Public Policy team is in charge of engaging with regulators and authorities to preserve the values that are important to Proton. The Legal team is responsible for implementing policies and ensuring regulatory compliance. As a versatile member of both teams, you will assist analyzing public policies and regulatory efforts critical to our business, drive the creation, refinement, and execution of strategic policy positions, advance our interests with legislators and regulators around the world and ensure an adequate implementation of policies affecting our operations.
You will need excellent critical thinking, research, and communication skills.
What you will do:
- Contribute to the development of Proton’s positions on technology policy issues globally and craft policy position documents, talking points and other materials for internal and external communication
- Monitor and analyze policy issues and developments of importance to Proton
- Contribute to the development and execution of Proton’s advocacy strategies
- Partner with product and business teams across Proton to understand and counsel on the policy implications of strategic decisions
Work closely with our Legal Team to implement and ensure compliance with regulations affecting Proton’s business
- Produce opinions on regulatory matters as it may be required from time to time by other teams
Bonus points for :
- Good written and verbal German communication skills
- Professional and/or academic experience in data protection, competition law and/or digital sector regulatory issues
- University Degree in European Law
Why you should join Proton:
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. Proton products protect dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default.
- Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.