At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data. ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users.
Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and more to come.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei. We're also considering future potential office locations such as London and Barcelona.
We operate our own cloud infrastructure, which is distributed across multi-tenant data centers throughout Switzerland and Germany. This infrastructure uses the latest technology and is connected through a multi-terabit redundant network. You will join the network team to secure, operate, automate, and support the expansion of our fast-growing network infrastructure. You will work closely with both the Proton engineering team and external partners. This position requires a flexible work schedule, as you may need to cover shifts outside of working hours. The international nature of our work requires fluency in English.
What You will do:
- Work in a team to deploy, monitor, and maintain a secure, reliable, and scalable network
- Perform deep dives on network, hardware, and Linux OS-related issues
- Create, validate, and maintain documentation for a global infrastructure knowledge base
- Write software to improve network automation and site reliability
- Participate in rotating on-call duties to maintain network availability
- 5+ years of successful experience, preferably with an ISP or at a large-scale data center
- Deep understanding of BGP and OSPF on both IPv4 and IPv6
- Demonstrated knowledge of MPLS
- Experience implementing VxLAN, EVPN forwarding, multi-tenancy, L3VPN
- Proven experience with Arista, Juniper or Cisco routers/switches
- Experience implementing network security and system hardening (e.g., firewalls, ACL, network segmentation, network monitoring)
- Experience managing network data with monitoring tools (e.g., Inciga, LibreNMS, Prometheus, ELK)
- Strong in network scripting/automation (ideally with Python)
- Experience in software development (e.g., design patterns, OOP, SQL, git)
- Ability to keep up in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Basic understanding of segment routing
- Experience in software development (e.g., design patterns, OOP, SQL, git)Well versed in IT security and with a good understanding of security best practices
- Fluent in French or German
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study and/or scientific background
- Certification in the field of Network Security
Why you should join Proton:
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. Proton products protect dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.