A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used. This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, ProtonMail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as ProtonVPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, leverage the same advanced encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As a Localization Writer for the German-speaking market, you will help create content that inspires people to secure their digital lives, engage with our products, and build an internet where privacy is the default. You will localize Proton blog posts, Knowledge Base articles, and application UI text into German, making online privacy more accessible. You may even end up writing your own blog posts that appeal directly to German-speaking audiences.
The Proton Localization Team is rapidly expanding and seeking copywriters with proven experience in multiple specializations. If you are proactive, a strong writer, and want to create a better internet, this is a great opportunity to join a growing and dedicated team.
What you will do
- Contribute to the growth of the overall number of visitors to our website, help convert visitors into leads, and expand the reach of our products through re-creating and delivering quality UI and marketing content in German
- Conduct localization QA for priority UI content
- Collaborate with other internal stakeholders to produce quality content and identify documentation requirements
- Analyze content suitability and and quality for our German-speaking community
- Ensure that Knowledge Base content is localized correctly and communicates the information accurately and clearly in your language
- Minimum 2+ years hands-on experience in copywriting for a tech company, content marketing, journalism, or a related field
- Experience adapting and re-creating content from English source copy for your relevant market
- Experience creating persuasive content for a large company, including product launches, content marketing, email campaigns, UI content, advertisements, and other marketing assets
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to adapt your style and tone to Proton’s unique brand voice and according to the goals set together with the Localization Team
- Independent, self-motivated, and proactive. You don’t require constant input, and you have meticulous attention to detail
- An analytical mind and interest in using data to optimize strategies for your relevant market
- Flawless written and spoken German and fluent English
- Ability to deliver under tight deadlines
Bonus points for
- Experience localizing tech products via CAT tools
- Familiarity with the technology behind Proton products (e.g., encryption, email, VPN protocols, etc.), online privacy, and information security
- Comfortable working in fast-paced startup environments and with stakeholders that work remotely
- Fluency in other languages
- Experience with keyword research and social media
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - ProtonMail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.