Linux System Developer
ProtonVPN relies on Linux for the majority of its network and server infrastructure. We are also continuously expanding and upgrading this infrastructure to accommodate our growing number of users. At the same time, we are working on new tools and features to improve the privacy and security we offer our users. Thus, we are looking for a Linux System Developer to join our team.
As a member of the ProtonVPN Research and Development team, you will work on maintaining the security of ProtonVPN’s infrastructure, improving its overall performance, and developing new features. You might be coding in C, scripting in Python or Lua, or creating patches for the Linux kernel. You will work in close collaboration with the entire ProtonVPN development team on any outstanding projects. The ideal candidate will be excited to face unique and varied challenges that require a variety of skills to resolve.
- Being an active part of the ProtonVPN R&D team
- Collaborating in the analysis of complex challenges related to various aspects of a Linux system, in particular related but not limited to its networking stack
- Taking part in the development of innovative solutions to improve the connectivity, stability, performance, and resilience of the ProtonVPN infrastructure and extend its functionality
- Taking part in extending existing open source projects or in creating new ones
- Expert-level knowledge of Linux
- A documented track record of contributions to multiple Linux projects and applications
- Basic understanding of software development
- Familiarity with networking
- Basic understanding of the principles of quality assurance
Knowledge in the following areas is considered a plus:
- Linux system administration and configuration management (Puppet, Ansible)
- Programming languages (C/C++, Python, Lua, Rust, PHP, Bash)
- Debian or RedHat packaging
- Linux Kernel development
- Code debugging and profiling
- TCP/IP protocol suite
- VPN Protocols (IKEv2, OpenVPN, WireGuard)
- HTTPS certificates and public key infrastructure
Why work at Proton?
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement
- The chance to do something meaningful. ProtonMail protects dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail is using Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring and better candidate experience. Your data will be kept confidential and not shared with any third parties.
Keep in mind that you will receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org email or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.