Junior Systems Administrator
We rely on standard open source tools to operate our network and server infrastructure, which are spread across multiple data centers in Switzerland. We must continually expand our system and grow our Infrastructure team as the number of users who rely on our services to protect their privacy increases. Thus, we are looking for a Junior Systems and Site Reliability Engineer to join our offices in Geneva, Zurich, or Vilnius.
As a member of one of Proton's Infrastructure teams, you will help operate our technical infrastructure and contribute to its improvement. You should have a solid knowledge of Linux and be willing to learn about running and growing web-scale, distributed, and highly available systems. You will work in close collaboration with the rest of the team.
What you will do:
- Install, monitor, and troubleshoot hardware
- Contribute to configuration and update management of Linux systems and services
- Improve monitoring for full stack, from hardware to application
- Implement system hardening, firewalling, IDS
- Make application code deployments
- Perform network protocol analysis for troubleshooting and incident response
- Cover periodic shifts to ensure our 24/7 operations
In addition to solid Linux skills, you should have a basic but clear understanding of:
- Code development and version control
- Computer hardware architecture
- Network switching and routing
- Common TCP/IP protocols and services (DNS, TLS, SMTP, HTTP, etc.)
- Security best practices
Knowledge in the following areas is considered a plus:
- Programming languages (C/C++, Python, PHP, Bash)
- Code debugging and profiling
- Version control tools and methods
- Monitoring systems (Icinga2, Prometheus, Grafana, Sentry)
- Configuration management and automation (Puppet, Ansible)
- Web protocols and service daemons (Apache, nginx)
- Mail protocols and service daemons (Postfix)
- Storage, filesystems, and database systems (Ceph, MySQL)
- Server-class hardware (BMCs, hardware RAID controllers)
- Work methodologies (Agile, ITIL)
Why work at ProtonMail?
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement
- The chance to do something meaningful. ProtonMail protects dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail is using Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring and better candidate experience. Your data will be kept confidential and not shared with any third parties.
Keep in mind that you will receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org email or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.