Front-End Developer - Growth Engineering (Storefronts)
A better internet is possible, one that empowers people to choose how their personal information is used. This might seem daunting, or even impossible, but at Proton, building this better internet is what we do every day.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, ProtonMail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as ProtonVPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, use end-to-end encryption that gives our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton is making privacy universally accessible to more than 50 million registered users, including journalists, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 30 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens use our products so they can choose who, if anyone, sees their information. Join us at one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies, we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
Growth Engineering is a rapidly growing team within Proton. Our engineering excellence drives the acquisition, onboarding, activation, and engagement of Proton customers. We are focused on delivering a high-quality, performant, and accessible experience to our users.
What you will do
- Join an existing team within Growth Engineering, working closely with teammates in order to design, build, test, and optimize our websites and web properties.
- Develop high-quality customer experiences on the web.
- Write readable, maintainable, tested, and well-documented code.
- Ensure that acceptance criteria and all parts of the technical design are correctly incorporated.
- Follow and promote engineering best practices.
- Take part in team activities, such as sprint ceremonies, code reviews, and pair programming.
- Share your unique knowledge and skills with the rest of the team.
You are a top candidate if you have
- 3+ years of experience using React.
- Professional experience building responsive websites.
- Experience using CSS frameworks such as Tailwind CSS.
- Proven proficiency with TypeScript.
- Experience using RESTful APIs.
- Experience testing your own code using automated tests, writing unit tests at a minimum (e.g. using Jest, Chai, Mocha).
- Knowledge of what makes a website performant (e.g. caching, server-side rendering).
- a product mindset and you are committed to building the best user experience.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment.
Bonus points for
- Experience using Gatsby.
- Experience working with headless CMS.
- Knowledge of web accessibility best practices.
- Experience using DevOps processes and practices (including CI/CD).
- Experience working in a distributed team.
Why you should join Proton
Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us.
Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - ProtonMail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
Proton uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address email@example.com or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.