Our mission is to defend human rights and democracy through building software that is essential for digital freedom and privacy protection for all Internet users.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 26 million users. Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an Internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products such as ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and much more.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, San Francisco, and Taipei.
Databases form the backbone of internet services and must scale with our growth while being highly reliable. You will join a growing database team to improve and scale our relational databases while maximizing availability. You will collaborate with infrastructure as wells as product development teams to ensure that database best practices are built into every aspect of design and implementation.
Your work will directly improve the user experience of millions of people around the world. You should have extensive experience developing and operating distributed and highly-available systems.
What you will do:
- Build database infrastructure that allows the business to grow rapidly. That means looking forward and identifying obstacles and tipping points in the infrastructure and taking action to remove them in a cost-efficient way.
- Understand the data and workloads to identify existing and future performance issues and resolve them quickly or head them off entirely.
- Collaborate with product teams to understand their current and future persistent storage needs and to partner with them to incorporate reliable, correct, and performant database practices into their designs and implementations.
- Collaborate with other infrastructure teams to ensure that all upstream and downstream services coordinate activities, scale capacity, and work toward common goals.
- Scale yourself and the team by sharing your knowledge and by automating high touch processes either through code that your write or with quality open-source solutions.
- Participate in rotating on-call duties in a global, 24x7x365, team
- 5+ years delivering highly available, scalable, distributed databases systems using non-proprietary software
- Software development experience with a solid grounding in software engineering and computer science, particularly as it relates to distributed systems.
- Solid background in performance tuning and problem diagnosis at the OS, database, and application levels.
- Own without ego. You will be working with people just as smart as you are. Embrace their feedback and offer constructive feedback of your own.
- Thrive on ambiguity, drive to consensus, deliver results.
Why you should join Proton:
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. Proton products protect dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail is using Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring and better candidate experience. Your data will be kept confidential and not shared with any third parties.
Keep in mind that you will receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org email or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.